Thursday, September 13, 2012

I know Nothing about Ideas.

Finally just came up with a solid ending idea for my novel.  Freaking took me long enough.  Without the ending I was kind of flailing around the middle without direction.

My outline made it possible to sort of head in the right direction, but without anything solid it wasn't doing much good.

So I was talking to my friend, and it suddenly hit me - a way to end the story that made sense, tied everything in together, and left off in the right way to easily slide into the second book.  :D  I was so excited - finally I figured it out.

It's so weird how it takes such a long time to come up with these ideas.  Or rather, I should say how long the actual process takes of writing a solid story.  Before I had my amazing realization, my ending was so horribly cliched, and the whole reasoning behind the bad guy's actions didn't really make any sense at all.  I'm glad I'm finally past all that.  It means I can finally see the finish line of my first draft!  I have about a fourth of it to go (changing the ending lengthened it a little), but it's not so far out of my reach now.

Also, every good idea I've had for this story came about by talking out loud to other people.  Sometimes they didn't even have to say anything, just discussing it outside of my own head was all I needed to get the ideas really flowing.

That's why I'll always call my best friend when I need to talk about story plot.  :)

Where/how do your best ideas come about?  Share with me in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. My ideas come from all over. I like your description of the ending coming to you - experienced it many times, though sometimes I decide they weren't so great after all. Designing aloud and reading aloud both help lots. Seems to tickle the right part of the brain.

    You seem t have set this up as a group blog? Is "join this site" the same as following?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emmalyn. :) Thanks for the comment! I've come up with about a million endings for this story, but of course, the ending always changes every time the story changes as I write... which is why it was so hard to a solid idea down for a while. So glad I have one now!

      And I just revamped this whole blog, and blogspot changed since I did it the first time, so I have no idea if join this site is following or contributing. Good catch though, I'll check on that. Thank you!

      Delete